For web developers and site administrators who work tirelessly on their websites every day, FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client software is the essential tool that makes their lives easier.
Using FTP software will help you a lot on file transferring especially when you can not upload large files.
FTP is an essential tool for uploading and managing files on web servers. While there are many FTP clients available, not all are created equal. In this post, we will explore some of the top free FTP solutions to help you find the best one for your needs.
Now see below some key reasons why using a dedicated FTP client software can be beneficial compared to a basic web browser or built-in OS tools:
- Increased speed – FTP software is optimized to quickly upload and download large files or entire folders. The parallel/segmented downloading and connection pooling features result in faster transfer speeds.
- Advanced capabilities – FTP clients provide useful features beyond just file transfers like remote editing, scheduled transfers, bandwidth throttling, etc. These make managing your web files easier.
- Better security – FTP clients allow for secure connections like SFTP and FTPS. This encrypts your data and protects passwords better than plain FTP.
- Ease of use – The interface is designed specifically for file transfers with features like drag-and-drop, queues, and bookmarks. This improves workflow compared to a web browser or command line.
- Automating tasks – FTP software allows you to set transfers to run automatically at set times. This saves you from having to manually transfer files each time.
- Mobile access – Some FTP clients have mobile apps that let you manage transfers on the go from your smartphone or tablet.
- Multiple protocols – Software supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS, giving you flexibility. Browsers may be limited to just FTP.
- File management – Advanced controls for directory comparison, integrity checking, permissions, compression, and backups make managing remote files easier.
- Troubleshooting – The interface provides logging, tracing, and debugging to help identify and resolve issues.
Using FTP software on limitation
FTP software helps in transferring files and more benefits when some of the free web host limits to uploading of large files. Also when there is a limitation on downloading files from hosts.
Below are four free FTP clients that are worth to use:
Filezilla was created in 2001 by Tim Kosse. Written in C++ using the wxWidgets toolkit. Has been downloaded over 500 million times. Used by web developers, IT professionals, and more.
It is a free, open-source FTP client for transferring files between a computer and a web server.
Who can benefit from Filezilla?
Web developers, webmasters, server administrators, bloggers.
Platform: Windows, Mac and Linux
Created in 2000 by Martin Prikryl. Implemented in C++ using the Scintilla editing component. Integration with PuTTY for sharing session information.
It is a free and open-source SFTP, FTP, and SCP client for Windows. It allows you to securely transfer files between a local and remote computer.
Who can benefit from using WinSCP?
Web developers, IT professionals, and server administrators.
Created in 2005 by aCrystal Network. Written in C++ using the Windows API. Constantly updated with new features and improvements
A free, open-source FTP, FTPS and SFTP client for Windows. It allows you to transfer files to and from remote servers.
Who can benefit from CoreFTP?
Web developers, server admins, IT professionals, and power users.
Created in 2002 by David Kocher. Written in Java and supports major operating systems. Open source with a large community behind development.
A free, open-source FTP and SFTP client for Mac and Windows. Allows transferring files to/from servers.
Who can benefit from Cyberduck?
Web developers, programmers, IT professionals.